Beat the stress of parking and stay for free at Falmouth's Park & Ride on Olympic Torch Day.
The Olympic Torch will make its way through Falmouth on Saturday, May 19 and there will be free parking at the town's Park & Ride site.
The Park & Ride, at Ponsharden on the outskirts of Falmouth, will be open from 9am to 6pm with free parking and free bus rides into the heart of Falmouth.
With hundreds of spectators expected to line the streets of Falmouth, parking at the Park & Ride is a great way to beat the queues and the stress of finding somewhere to park in the busy town.
The Torch arrives in Falmouth at 10.53am and will begin its route through Falmouth on Dracena Avenue. The full times for the route are as follows:
- 10.53am Draceana Avenue (A39)
- 11.03am Kimberley Park Road
- 11.06am Berkeley Vale
- 11.08am Killigrew Street
- 11.10am Webber Street
- 11.11am Market Strand
- 11.12am Market Street
- 11.13am Church Street
- 11.16am Arwenack Street
- 11.22am Grove Place car park
- 11.45am Bar Terrace
- 11.47am Bar Road
- 11.49am Melvill Road (A39)
- 12.01pm Western Terrace (A39)
To mark the occasion there is a whole host of events and activities taking place throughout the town. Some of the highlights include:
- Competitors from the Finn Gold Cup will line the streets as the torch enters the harbour.
- On Events Square there'll be dance and music performances and photographic exhibitions by University College Falmouth students.
- The National Maritime Museum Cornwall are turning their iconic tower into a 15ft replica torch. You can also cath the brilliiant exhibition Our Sporting Life – Sail for Gold which celebrates our British Olympic and Paralympic sailing heritage.
- It'll be party time on Events Square from 7pm to 11.30pm with the Falmouth Flame Party Night - a free party with a live band!
- 100 children from schools across Falmouth & Penryn have chosen three songs, one that they have written especially for the event and will be singing on Custom House Quay dressed in black and white to represent the Cornish Flag.
There be all of this and more besides. We'll keep you up to date with all that's happening and bring you photos and videos of the day. Further information is available from www.falmouth.co.uk or by contacting the Fal River Visitor Information Centre, located on Prince of Wales Pier, on 0905 32 54 534
(Calls cost 31p a minute from a landline . Callers must be 16+. You must have permissionof the bill payer. Calls from mobiles will cost considerably more. Service provided by Cornwall Ferries Ltd, TR11 3DF. Helpline 0844 44 81 579)