Fal Mussel Card UNI FAQs

Got a question? Check out the answers below to see if we can help...


Frequently Asked Questions

What if I lose my card or it is stolen?

If your card is lost or stolen don’t worry, we will de-activate the card and issue you a new one. All you need to do is email: fmcu@falriver.co.uk with your details and card number and we will print a new one for you within 2 working days. When you collect your card you will be asked for a £10 admin fee.

Can I buy a card for one Term at a time?

No. When you buy a card it is valid for the remaining Terms of the academic year. On 9th August 2017 the full year card will go on sale and will be available for purchase. The next card, for Terms 2 & 3, will be available to buy from 18th Dec 2017, and be valid from 8th Jan 2018. The final card, for Term 3 only, will go on sale on 26th March 2018, and be valid from 9th April 2018. All three cards are valid until 7th Sept 2018. So it is not possible to buy a card for Term 1, Terms1&2 or Term 2 on their own.

What services is the card valid on?

The Fal Mussel Card UNI is valid on all First Kernow bus services in Cornwal (excluding private hire services), the maritime train line between Falmouth Docks - Truro and all stations between (Falmouth Town, Penmere, Penryn and Perranwell), the St Mawes Ferry, Place Ferry and Enterprise Boats.

Can I pay in instalments?

Yes. We understand you might not have £480 spare at the start of the year, so 1) STUDENTS can pay in three instalments, at the start of each Term: £210 Term 1; £160 Term 2; £110 Term 3. See Term dates above. 2) STAFF can pay monthly with deductions from their salary, see www.falriver.co.uk/unistaff

Where can I use my card?

You can use your card to enjoy unlimited travel between Falmouth & Penryn as well as across Cornwall on ALL First bus services, the branch line train between Falmouth & Truro and the main ferry routes on the Fal River including the regular sailings from Falmouth to St Mawes, Place Creek, The Roseland, Trelissick and Truro. Just show your card when boarding any of these services.

How much would it normally cost?

Over £2,600, nearly 6 times the cost of the card.

How do I buy one?

You can buy it online, see Buy a Card for more info.

What if I leave uni?

If you leave during the travel year, we will refund or cancel any un-used Terms. We don’t refund part-used Terms and you must provide proof that you have left, this is a formal letter from the university.

Why a Mussel Card?

The Mussel Card is a local transport card for the Fal River (a bit like an Oyster Card but more fun). There are two other Mussel card versions: the Visitor and Local.

Can I take my bike or surfboard?

On the train or ferry yes, but not on the bus.

Can my parents buy it for me?

Yes. If your folks are worried about you spending all your money on beer and chips then they can buy your card for you.

What are your terms and conditions?

Please see www.falriver.co.uk/uni/terms for a full list of terms and conditions.

I don't work for Falmouth University, am I eligable?

Possibly. If you work for the following organisations you are eligable to apply for a card: Falmouth University, Exeter University (Cornwall), FXU & FXPlus.