Come and see the Man Engine Transform to his full height on Truro’s iconic Lemon Quay. His TRANSFORMATION will begin at 2pm and will be complete by 3pm so get there in plenty of time.
During the ceremony the Mayor of Truro, Rob Nolan, will present the Man Engine with an ingot of Cornish tin cast from the mold created for tin-trader Lewis Daubuz of Truro in the nineteenth century.
Truro Farmers Market will be on the Quay providing local food and produce in the heart of the city.
Arrive by Boat
Enterprise Boats operate regular river trips along the Fal River arriving at the heart of Truro on nearby Town Quay, just a 2 minute walk to Lemon Quay where the Man Engine will come alive!
Depart Falmouth at 10.30am or 12.15pm to arrive in time to see the transformation or 10.05am or 11.30am from St Mawes.
Return at 3.30pm or 5.30pm after the festivities.
Find out more here and buy tickets online (10% discount)...
The Man Engine
At a secret (ex-mining) location in Cornwall we are now engineering the largest mechanical puppet ever to be built in Britain: a colossal metal Cornish Miner, part man, part machine.
When he crawls down the road, the height of the Man Engine is 4.5m (about the same as a double-decker bus) but when he 'transforms' he will stand at over 10m tall (two-and-a-half double-deckers!)
The actual appearance of the behemoth will be kept a closely-guarded secret until the unveiling on Mon July 25th, but here's a little teazer that shows the puppeteer arriving for some R&D...
- Largest mechanical puppet ever made in Britain
- Gwrys yn Kernow / Engineered in Cornwall
- Crawls at 4.5m high
- Transforms' to stand over 10m high
- With vehicle weighs nearly 40 tonnes
- Unveiled Tavistock Monday 25th July 2016
- Two weeks 130-mile pilgrimage Tamar to Geevor
- Visits all 10 Cornish Mining World Heritage Site areas
- 25+ events along route
- 50,000+ participant
- Cornish Mining Heritage workshops with 1200+ school pupils
- 5 'Mining Wagons', designed by local schools and community
- Final event at Geevor Sat 6th August 2016
Find out more about the Man Engine...