Guest Recipe : Beetroot Cured Salmon
15 May 2017
Check out this scrumptious recipe from Gylly Beach Cafe and try it at home
One side of salmon skin on - 1kg or thereabouts in weight
1 k raw beetroot
500g castor sugar
1k sea salt
Zest of 5 limes
Zest of 3 lemons
Sour dough small loaf
Drizzle of rapeseed oil
1. Place salmon skin side down and check for any pin bones, pull out with tweezers
2. Place the zest, sugar and sea salt in a bowl and combine together.
3. Leave the skin on the beetroot and grate through a standard cheese grater.
4. Place the salt mix into the grated beetroot and combine.
5. Lay out cling film on your bench the length of the salmon and place salmon skin side down.
6. Completely cover the salmon with the beetroot cure then wrap up and place in a tray with sides as this will produce a liquid.
7. Put the salmon in the fridge and place some weight on top like some tins to weigh it down to press and leave this for at least a day and a half.
8. Once this is done remove from the fridge and wash the mix off the salmon and discard. Using a sharp knife slice as thin as you can on the angle.
9. Slice thinly the sour dough drizzle with oil and place in a hot oven for a few minutes to create a crisp.