Autumn Road Trip Adventure around the Fal River
10 October 2019
Autumn in Cornwall can be a wonderful time to be out in an open top sportscar. Everywhere is quieter including the roads, which makes driving so much more fun. This time of year can be very mild and provide lovely bright days…making an open top classic car the perfect means of transport.
Perranwell Garage have put together this a route around the Fal so you can explore this amazing part of Cornwall in one of their classic open top sportscars. Scroll down to see Short Break Autumn Hire Offer and start planning your adventure.
- Starting your journey in the quaint village of Perranwell located about halfway between Truro and Falmouth, head for the Helford River.
- The Helford River is home to a selection of the many great gardens in Cornwall. Park up and explore Trebah or National Trust Glendurgan.
- Continue your journey towards Falmouth, taking in the beautiful beaches en route - Swanpool or Maenporth. Perhaps take some time for a coastal path walk here. It's a particularly good stretch of path for its ocean views and Great British wildlife.
- Once in the thriving maritime town of Falmouth, there's plenty to see and do as well as places to eat before continuing up river.
- Continuing the road trip, take in the ancient market town of Penryn, and the delightful harbourside village of Mylor. This part of the drive will take you through a labyrinth of woodlands- simply breathtaking at this time of year, in all their autumn glory.
- Rejoin the main A39 road and head North towards Truro. Take a right down the B3289 and cross the Fal River by the iconic King Harry Ferry. It’s a must, if only to say you’ve travelled on one of the top ten ferry crossings in the world.
- The ferry crossing marks your arrival into the wild Roseland Peninsula, renowned for its hidden coves, rugged coastline and raw beauty. You’ll want to plan at least half a day to explore this wonderful place.
- Head towards the chocolate box village of St Mawes enjoying the twisting, hedged lined lanes, where the ocean views open up in front of you.
- Taking unplanned detours is the best bit about this route. You never know what hidden gem is around the next bend in the lane on the wild Roseland
- Next up the quiet fishing village of Portscatho, and The famous Hidden Hut - no longer a secret but still a gem.
- Follow the coast around Gerrans Bay and you will arrive at Carne Beach and the areas only 5 star hotel, The Nare. The hotel welcomes non-residents to it's award winning restaurant The Quarterdeck, and makes for the ideal place to linger and enjoy good food, as well as stunning sea views.
- You can't leave the Roseland without visiting Caerhays Castle, with its breathtaking architecture and gardens.
- Heading back on the main A390, take in our great little city as you pass through Truro, with it's cobbled streets and majestic cathedral before back down the A39 to Perranwell.
Short Break Autumn Hire Offer
From the 1st October until 31st March 2020 Perranwell Garage are offering a special package that gives you 2 whole days and 3 nights withone of their Classic Morgans (2 or 4 Seater) or MG Roadster.
If you’re planning a long weekend in Cornwall you can collect your Morgan 2 or 4 seater on the Friday afternoon, keep it for the entire weekend and return it on the Monday morning. The deal can also apply at any time during a week. The price is £370 for a Morgan or £325 for the MG Roadster.
Try out the unique experience of driving an open top Morgan or MG sportscar around the wonderful Cornish countryside and along the coastline.
Find out more...